[xep-support] Understanding area rectangles

From: W. Eliot Kimber (eliot@isogen.com)
Date: Fri Nov 01 2002 - 13:59:12 PST

I'm trying to develop a full understanding of how border-width, padding,
and indent interact and either I'm missing something or both XEP and XSL
Formatter have gotten it wrong.

 From the picture in section 4.4.1, Stacked Block-areas, I interpret the
spec as saying, e.g for the start edge, that the start side of the
border rectangle is immediately adjacent to the end edge of the start
edge of its containing reference area if space-start="0", that is, for
this spec on a block within a reference area:

   space-before="0"
   block-before-width="2pt"
   padding-start="4pt"

we should get this layout:

Start edge of reference
area's content rectangle
     :
     : Start edge of padding rectangle
     V :
     .------ :
     |.--. V
     ||xx| .---------
     ||xx| |
      ^ ^ |
      : :
      : Block's start-border end edge
      :
    Block's
    start-border
    start edge

However, what I'm seeing is that the start edge of the inner block's
content rectangle is adjacent to the start edge of the containing
reference area's content rectangle, putting the start border and padding
to the left (toward the start edge of the page) of the reference area's
content rectangle, that is, on the start side of the containing
reference area's content rectangle.

Is the behavior I'm observing correct and, if so, why, given the
referenced diagram?

Thanks,

Eliot

--