Re: [xep-support] 1. unicode characters (eg arrow up) 2. line-height

From: Paul A. Hoadley (paulh@logicsquad.net)
Date: Wed Jan 22 2003 - 02:28:18 PST

    Hi Tobias,

    On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 10:59:08AM +0100, Tobias Reif wrote:
    > Paul A. Hoadley wrote:
    >
    > > IMHO, at least part of the problem is that the FO stylesheets
    >
    > You mean Norman Walsh's DocBook to FO XSLTs?

    Yes.

    > > don't reduce the font-size of the footnote mark by enough [...]
    > > 60% in Times Roman causes no baseline shift (that I can detect),
    > > though maybe the mark looks a little too small at this size.
    >
    > The footnote marks are pretty small already IMHO, so making them
    > much smaller will make them unreadable.

    I guess it's a personal preference, but out-of-the-box, Norm's
    stylesheets render footnote marks at 90% of the surrounding font size
    -- it's a barely noticeable difference, and I find them way too large.
    I'm pretty sure LaTeX, just for example, will render a footnote mark
    at 7 points in 10 point text.

    > Is there a way to lower the location of the marks instead?

    You probably saw Nikolai's suggestions in another mail -- this is a
    problem that is bugging me at the moment as well, so I will see if I
    can work his suggestions into Norm's stylesheets. Let me know if you
    come up with anything.

    --
    Paul.
    mailto:paulh@logicsquad.net