Re: [xep-support] Using a symbol glyph as a bullet

From: Nikolai Grigoriev (grig@renderx.com)
Date: Thu Jan 23 2003 - 01:01:44 PST

    Hi Kevin,

    > <fo:inline font-family="ZapfDingbats">&#x006F;</fo:inline>
    >
    > In theory, this should output the 'o' character of the Zapf Dingbats font
    > which is a right-bottom-dropshadowed white box.

    It is Unicode U+2751.

    > In the PDF output generated by XEP 3.1, however, the character
    > does not appear.

    Yes, because ZapfDingbats does not contain any glyph for U+006F.

    There is a sample document, examples/charsets/zapf-dingbats.fo, that
    shows all available codepoints for ZapfDingbats. Please format
    it with XEP and look at the resulting PDF: things should become
    clearer.

    For a discussion of codepoint assignment to dingbat glyphs,
    see http://partners.adobe.com/asn/developer/type/zapfdingbats.txt
    (mentioned in XEP documentation, BTW) and the Unicode site:
    http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U2700.pdf

    > I am unable to use the TrueType version of the font, as according
    > to XEP it does not contain a Unicode translation table.

    Yes, it may happen that a TrueType fonts lacks 'cmap' table for Unicode.
    This is often the case for old fonts (used in 16-bit Windows).

    > Using the Windows Character Map tool, I have confirmed that the glyph
    > I want is Unicode 0x006F in the font.

    The glyph is Unicode U+006F in a TrueType font with no Unicode
    CMap :-). You'd better not trust this info too much.

    Best regards,
    Nikolai Grigoriev
    RenderX