[xep-support] Nesting indents

From: Lori Wong (wongl@llnl.gov)
Date: Thu Mar 06 2003 - 09:11:49 PST

    I would like to nest indenting for list blocks so that if a list occurs
    within a list, the child list gets indented relative to the previous
    one. As in,

        - List 1 item 1
        - List 1 item 2
             - List 2 item 1
             - List 2 item 2
                - List 3 item 1
                - List 3 item 2
             - List 2 item 3
        - List 1 item 3

    I have tried to use start-indent to do this as follows:
    <fo:list-block
        provisional-distance-between-starts="1.15in" text-align="left"
        font-size="12pt" line-height="16pt"
        start-indent="from-parent(start-indent)+.25in"
        provisional-label-separation=".125in"
        space-before.optimum="10pt">

    however, XEP generates warnings that look like:
    {?Bad attribute start-indent: Cannot add type Word to type Length}
    which I assume has to do with trying to add the value
    from-parent(start-indent) with a length value such as the .25in.

    If I use a fixed length here, such as the .25in, I do not get the error
    messages. Similarly, I can just use the
    from-parent(start-indent). However, in both cases, I do not get the nested
    indenting that I desire.

    It may be that I'm attempting to use the from-parent(start-indent)
    incorrectly. Does anyone have a solution for handling the nested indents
    (where I don't have to put in fixed values for the subsequent levels of
    list blocks)? My list items tend to span more than one line, so I need to
    specify an indent for the entire block rather than just the first line.

    Thanks!

    - Lori