Re: [xep-support] Back-of-book indexes using RenderX extensions

From: G. Ken Holman (gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com)
Date: Wed Mar 26 2003 - 07:30:42 PST

    At 2003-03-27 01:27 +1030, Paul A. Hoadley wrote:
    >Paul A. Hoadley said:
    >
    > > There was some traffic on this list last December regarding Ken
    > > Holman's method for producing back-of-book indexes with page ranges and
    > > deleted duplicate references. I have since use the implementation of
    > > this method included in the DocBook XSL stylesheets on DocBook
    > > documents.
    >
    >I may have mis-attributed the procedure and the parts of the DocBook
    >stylesheets described here:
    >
    >http://www.sagehill.net/xml/docbookxsl/SolveProblems.html#d0e14422
    >
    >to Ken's procedure described here:
    >
    >http://www.cranesoftwrights.com/resources/bbi/index.htm
    >
    >If so, apologies to the author of the code in the DocBook XSL stylesheets
    >-- presumably Norm Walsh or Bob Stayton. :-)

    Actually, Paul, your attribution was correct, as noted at:

    http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/doc/fo/make.index.markup.html

    Norm probably wrote the code, but he was kind enough to cite my
    contribution to the Q&A session after Eliot Kimber's XSL-FO presentation at
    Extreme Markup 2002. The link above to our site documents formally what I
    mentioned informally at the Montréal conference.

    I'm capturing the names of tools and other examples of implementations of
    the methodology, and have just updated the document to reflect Norm's
    work. If anyone else has published their use of this methodology or other
    tools for the reading of the PDF files, please let me know.

    Thanks!

    --
    Upcoming hands-on in-depth XSLT/XPath and/or XSL-FO
                                  North America:      June 16-20, 2003