Re: [xep-support] More on <rx:page-index>: feature request

From: David Tolpin (dvd@renderx.com)
Date: Thu Mar 27 2003 - 06:15:04 PST

    > I've hit a problem that I don't think I can solve with rx:key and
    > rx:page-index. The DocBook DTD allows for an <indexterm> within the
    > text to have a 'class' attribute which can specify 'startofrange' and
    > 'endofrange'. An element with the latter must also carry a 'startref'
    > attribute that points to the 'id' of its corresponding 'startofrange'.
    > The generated index will then contain a range of pages for an
    > indexterm spanning between the two elements.

    RenderX uses XSL FO's areas to implement page ranges, however, the approach
    compatible with DocBook is also possible. DocBook's approach is directly mappable
    to the internal structures for page indices.

    A short digest that summarizes the syntax of indices in DocBook and common practices
    of their use would be helpful for us as a guide.

    David