Re: [xep-support] Processing inline symbols

From: W. Eliot Kimber (eliot@isogen.com)
Date: Tue Apr 22 2003 - 13:27:28 PDT

    Clay Leeds wrote:
    > I believe you would format it like this:
    >
    > <text>Some sample text here with a <fo:inline
    > font-family="Symbol">&#221A;</fo:inline> radical symbol from the Symbol
    > font and a <fo:inline font-family="Zapf Dingbats">&#25A0;</fo:inline>
    > closed block symbol from the ZapfDingbats font.</text>

    You should also be able to simply put the appropriate symbol font at the
    end of the list of fonts you are using, e.g.:

    <fo:root font="Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif, Symbol">

    The use or non-use of UTF-8 will not affect your ability to refer to any
    character, although it may affect the ability of your text editor or
    content management system to correctly handle the file. Using numeric
    character references, as in the example above, is the safest approach
    but should never be necessary unless you are using tools that cannot
    handle Unicode characters above 255 correctly (for example, editors that
    can only handle pure ASCII).

    Cheers,

    Eliot

    --