Re: [xep-support] Problems with Thai glyphs

From: W. Eliot Kimber (eliot@isogen.com)
Date: Mon May 05 2003 - 03:53:31 PDT

    Richard Vincent wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > I am having problems rendering Thai in XEP. Vowels, tone marks, etc
    > are placed adjacent to the base glyp instead of above or below. How
    > does XEP manage line-layout? There is no problem rendering the source
    > in Antenna House's Formatter ...

    Antenna House put a great deal of effort into implementing Thai glyph
    composition--it is nontrivial. It is probably not reasonable to expect
    XEP to do Thai glyph composition unless they go to the same level of effort.

    Of modern languages, Thai is probably one of the worst cases when it
    comes to glyph composition because of the number of elements involved in
    each glyph and the grammar-sensitive rules on composition. I don't
    pretend to understand them except to understand that they are complex.

    Cheers,

    Eliot

    --
    W. Eliot Kimber, eliot@isogen.com