Re: [xep-support] java settings ?

From: Alexander Peshkov (peshkov@renderx.com)
Date: Wed May 28 2003 - 08:07:33 PDT

    Hello Jack,

    Java memory setting are critical for the overall performance. By
    default, the amount of memory available to Java VM is limited to 64MB
    regardless of the RAM size of the host machine. For a machine with <N>
    megabytes of RAM, reasonable defaults are <N - 64> for the upper heap
    size limit (-Xmx) and <N/2> (or less) for the lower limit (-Xms). For
    instance, the following yields effective memory usage on a computer
    with 512 MB of RAM: -Xms128M -Xmx400M
    You may also try to turn off validation (using switch -Dcom.renderx.xep.VALIDATION=false)
    to speed up processing and reduce memory consumption.

    There are small chances that performance degradation caused by Java VM
    instability. Which version of Java (and OS) are you using?

    Best regards,
    Alexander Peshkov mailto:peshkov@renderx.com
    RenderX