Re: Once again: [xep-support] rx:page-device

From: Nikolai Grigoriev (grig@renderx.com)
Date: Mon Jun 09 2003 - 08:06:26 PDT

    Chris,

    > "Element 'page-device' is obsolete; use <?xep-postscript-* ?>
    > processing instructions instead."
    >
    > However, as Pierre points out below, the xep-postscript-* options are
    > limited to PS Level and Unicode.
    >
    > Has this useful functionality been dropped in XEP 3.4?

    It has been dropped since 3.0, and never returned (because it caused
    a number of problems with some printers). We plan to reintroduce
    it some day; but it is always postponed, as other more urgent
    improvements take priority.

    > I would be grateful for any help on getting stylesheets from XEP 2.7 that
    > use rx:page-device upgraded to XEP 3.4.

    Well, I'm afraid there is no chance to make XEP 3.4 switch page device
    options (except for page size). However, the PostScript code generated
    by XEP 3.4 (unlike that of 2.7) does not alter page device settings for
    input media in page setup sections. Therefore, a custom PostScript prolog
    sent to the printer before XEP output (or, alternatively, inserted into
    XEP's output with a Perl script) would do the trick for you, in a much
    more universal manner.

    Best regards,
    Nikolai Grigoriev
    RenderX

    > It seems that I am facing the same issue now that you have discussed in
    > March.
    >
    > In XEP 2.7, I have used the rx:page-device element to set PostScript
    options
    > like duplex, number of copies, and input tray (Note: The MediaType would
    be
    > useful as well). The error message that comes up is the following:
    >
    > "Element 'page-device' is obsolete; use <?xep-postscript-* ?>
    > processing instructions instead."
    >
    > However, as Pierre points out below, the xep-postscript-* options are
    > limited to PS Level and Unicode.
    >
    > Has this useful functionality been dropped in XEP 3.4?
    >
    > I would be grateful for any help on getting stylesheets from XEP 2.7 that
    > use rx:page-device upgraded to XEP 3.4.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Chris

    Ltd