Re: [xep-support] XEP with Arabic Typesetting font

From: Chris Lilley (chris@w3.org)
Date: Fri Feb 20 2004 - 11:00:26 PST

    On Wednesday, February 18, 2004, 11:59:59 PM, Mete wrote:

    MK> Hello RenderX,

    MK> We are evaluating XEP. I have a question at this
    MK> point. We want to print Arabic material into PDF. We
    MK> want to test the latest Microsoft Arabic font named
    MK> "Arabic Typesetting".

    Is this the font[1][2] by Paul Nelson of Microsoft Typography, John
    Hudson of Tiro Typeworks and Mamoun Sakkal of Sakkal Design[3]?

    [1] http://www.sakkal.com/type/typesetting.html
    [2] http://www.sakkal.com/type/tdc_competition.html
    [3] http://www.sakkal.com/type/

    MK> This font requires that we use
    MK> the latest version of Uniscribe that comes with Office
    MK> 2003 - the version of Uniscribe that comes in Windows
    MK> XP will not work.

    To be more precise, this is an OpenType font that uses features of
    OpenType[4] that older versions of Uniscribe do not support. The font
    is not specific to Uniscribe; any OpenType renderer that implements
    the features used will work correctly.

    [4] http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otfntdev/arabicot/features.htm

    --
     Chair, W3C SVG Working Group