Re: [xep-support] the order of the conditional-page-master-reference

From: G. Ken Holman (gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com)
Date: Mon Mar 29 2004 - 10:03:36 PST

    At 2004-03-29 19:28 +0200, you wrote:
    >Thanks a lot for this answer, I don't read anything about this in the
    >specification, but it's really comprehensible.

    It is explicit in the specification by the statements that an unspecified
    condition tests true for that condition and the first condition where all
    tests are true is the first one that is used.

    I can certainly understand one might construe from instinct that a "more
    specific set of tests" as being more important, but 6.4.10 clearly talks
    about "tested in order from the beginning of the sequence of children".

    6.4.11 states "the initial value of all the properties makes the
    corresponding sub-condition true, this really means that the subset of
    traits that are derived from properties with specified values must make the
    corresponding sub-condition true."

    The documentation in my book and my succinct answer to your question comes
    from boiling down the main points above from the Rec.

    Which is why I wrote a book! :{)} Remember that the Recommendation was
    written for XSL-FO engine implementers, not for stylesheet writers.

    I hope this helps.

    --
    Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/
    Male Breast Cancer Awareness  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/bc