Re: [xep-support] Rendering Unicode combined diacritic characters

From: Jim Skelton (jimskelton@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu May 20 2004 - 11:32:59 PDT

    Hi Nikolai,

    Thanks for letting me know about this limitation in
    XEP.

    I'm not an expert on Unicode character rendering, but
    I understand that the Unicode specification allows for
    combining diacritics and leaves it up to the
    application to render it acceptably. Microsoft's
    proprietary Uniscribe has gone a long way in
    accomplishing this (I'm not sure how they render the
    acute barred i, but it looks OK). I'm sure it wasn't
    easy.

    You may want to take a look at SIL's Graphite at
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/silgraphite which is a
    system that enables rendering of non roman and other
    complex scripts. I'm not sure how portable it is, or
    whether they have any java libraries available. It is
    also able to render the below characters fine.

    I would think that it may be in RenderX's interests to
    develop Unicode rendering capability, though this may
    not be part of RenderX's market. Adding a Unicode
    rendering component could potentially expand RenderX's
    market...

    Thank for your consideration into this.

    --Jim