Re: [xep-support] Inside/Outside Floats

From: David Tolpin <dvd@davidashen.net>
Date: Sat Jan 29 2005 - 01:45:36 PST

Hi Eliot,

and thank you for the detailed samples. Has the fix I sent you a few
hours ago worked?

> 1. The horizontal placement of floats differs from that produced by
> XSL Formatter in that XSL Formatter only floats to the edge of the
> parent block's effective edge based on that block's start or end
> indent. XEP floats to the edge of the nearest ancestor reference area
> (i.e., the edge of the region-body). I believe that XEP's behavior is
> correct based on my reading of the spec. I have asked Antenna House to
> defend their interpretation.

Yes, that's what is written in the recommendation, and the code manages
a stack of reference areas to satisfy this.

> 2. When I specify space-before on the child block-container of
> fo:float, XEP *always* renders the space, regardless of the
> conditionality setting. However, I believe that conditional
> space-before should be discarded in this case because side floats
> establish new reference areas. XSL Formatter does discard the
> conditional space in this case.

This is a bug, will be fixed. However, what you want is probably
achieved by putting

float
        block-container space-after="0.5in" space-after.conditionality="retain"
                block
                        Contents of the float go here.

This way, you get the floats separated and started as early as possible
on the page.

David