[xep-support] Re: SVG graphic goes missing

From: David Cramer <david@thingbag.net>
Date: Tue Nov 16 2010 - 11:30:56 PST

Hi Mark,
Depends on your definition of recent :-)

http://www.w3.org/blog/systeam/2008/02/08/w3c_s_excessive_dtd_traffic

On the bright side, it's a good way to alert you of the places where you
thought you were using catalogs but for some reason they weren't being used.

David

On 11/16/2010 12:48 PM, Mark Giffin wrote:
> Is there a recent W3C policy change to have its servers stop
> responding to a DTD check from a parser?
>
> On 11/16/2010 10:32 AM, Dave Pawson wrote:
>> On 16 November 2010 17:57, Mark Giffin<mgiffin@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>> Thanks Dave, yes I am going to be using XML catalogs more. But
>>> isn't it the
>>> default when running XEP (or probably the Sax parser under XEP) for
>>> it to
>>> try to access the URL in the SVG (or other W3C DTD)? If the W3C
>>> server no
>>> longer responds to this default check, then this is a basic level of
>>> broken-ness that would have to be fixed out of the box one way or
>>> another.
>>> Not to pick on XEP, I think it's a good product. Other tools will be
>>> broken
>>> by this as well.
>>>
>>> Mark
>>
>> This has been happening with DTDs for years.
>> The catalog resolver gets round this, by telling the parser
>> to use the catalog, sort of indirection to get the DTD?
>> You just redirect it to the DTD on your disk.
>>
>> HTH

> (*) By using the Service, you expressly agree to these Terms of
> Service http://w
> ww.renderx.com/terms-of-service.html

!DSPAM:87,4ce2dbff63736088878539!