[xep-support] Re: folio-suffix content model?

From: Michael Sulyaev <msulyaev@renderx.com>
Date: Fri Jan 14 2011 - 04:26:22 PST

On 01/14/2011 02:39 PM, Dave Pawson wrote:
> content model for fo:folio-suffix is (#PCDATA|%inline;)*
>
> %inline contains fo:page-number-citation-last
>
> Yet an error is reported unless I wrap it in fo:inline?
>
> Is this a bug please?

Dave,

The is a special note in XSL 1.1 spec for this case:
"An fo:folio-suffix is not permitted to have an fo:page-number,
fo:page-number-citation, or fo:page-number-citation-last as a descendant."
http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl/#fo_folio-suffix

Obviously, if that note was not there in the Spec, it would allow loops:
the inner page number would need to be surrounded by some folio-*,
bringing in yet more page numbers and so on.

The same note applies for fo:folio-prefix.

The fact that you could fool the validator by wrapping
fo:page-number-citation-last in an fo:inline inside an fo:folio-suffix
-- that is a bug. However, we won't fix it at the place where it is,
because the whole stylesheet that performs folio-* resolution we be
re-factored into Java code for performance.

Anyway, I'll pay attention to these possible loops and their detection.
Thanks for reporting!

Regards,
Michael Sulyaev
RenderX