[xep-support] Re: Problem with SVG opacity support in PDF

From: Alexey Gagarinov <agagarinov@renderx.com>
Date: Tue Jun 28 2011 - 15:00:16 PDT

Zbigniew,

> I have the following problem with the correct rendering of an SVG image
> within PDF. The image itself has been created using Adobe Illustrator
> and is correctly displayed in another SVG editor, Inkscape in this case.
> When inserted into an XSL-FO file and transformed by XEP, it is not
> rendered correctly. That is, the part of the image that has a linear
> gradient layer on opacity is rendered as a black circle.

The SVG has a linear "opacity" gradient along a circle.
I mean gradient applied to opacity property, not color as in "normal"
gradient.

> According to XEP documentation, opacity and gradients are supported by
> XEP 4.19 (build 20110414) used to generate the PDF file (version 1.4).
> Note that the attached PDF is an extract from the original one.

It's the 'stop-opacity' attribute on the
'linearGradient'/'radialGradient' elements that forms an "opacity" gradient.

The current version of XEP does not support the 'stop-opacity' attribute.

> Is there a setting in XEP configuration (or maybe in SVG?) that allows
> for correct rendering that kind of combination of gradients and opacity?

The support of the 'stop-opacity' attribute is in our TODO list.
Moreover, implementation of the basic level support for this attribute
is in progress now.

I hope the next major release of XEP will include the support of the
"opacity" gradients.

Regards,
   Alexey Gagarinov
RenderX