[xep-support] Table columns reading order in tagged PDF

From: Benoit Maisonny <bm.lists@synclude.com>
Date: Wed Aug 08 2012 - 04:46:23 PDT

Hi,

Be it with or without the ENABLE_ACCESSIBILITY option, XEP appears to
output text in tables by "reading" columns from right to left. For
instance, if the document contains a table like this:

| 1 | 2 |

Then the file in XEP area tree format and the PDF stream will show "2"
before "1". I was looking for a way to output 1 before 2 and thought
that ENABLE_ACCESSIBILITY
would do that as it is supposed to follow the structure of the FO source.
Unfortunately, this is not the case. I can see from the xpath attribute in
XEP format that column number 2 is output before number 1: the xpath
attributes contain for instance:
... /*[2][name()=&apos;table-cell&apos;] ...
... /*[1][name()=&apos;table-cell&apos;] ...

showing indeed that the 2nd cell is output first. And this is for English
content, so I do expect a left to right reading.

Is this normal behaviour? Is there another configuration option to set beside
ENABLE_ACCESSIBILITY?

Regards,
Benoit

!DSPAM:87,502251a863739088580282!