[xep-support] Re: odd/even pages and using data to tell if you share a back

From: G. Ken Holman <gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com>
Date: Fri Aug 17 2012 - 15:55:17 PDT

At 2012-08-17 17:45 -0500, Nathan Stenzel wrote:
>I need to be able to write an XSL template that will know when it is
>on an odd
>or even page.....

There is no feedback channel from XSL-FO to XSLT, so you'll never know.

>or to have the FO know if it is allowed to share its back
>side of its paper based on data in the XML.
>
>Any advice?

In XSLT 1:

   <fo:page-sequence>
     <xsl:attribute name="master-reference">
       <xsl:choose>
         <xsl:when
test="....something...">name_of_double_sided_master</xsl:when>
         <xsl:otherwise>name_of_single_sided_master</xsl:otherwise>
       </xsl:choose>
     </xsl:attribute>
   </fo:page-sequence>

>I was Thinking that it would be possible to add a marker to the top of a page
>to show it is odd or even and then use the marker to help decide these
>things,

You cannot inspect marker values and act on them.

>but not sure if that is really possible or if such projects like this
>are possible at all without making it a 2 pass system.

Have you considered what you could do with XEP's intermediate format?

I hope this helps.

--
Public XSLT, XSL-FO, UBL and code list classes in Europe -- Oct 2012
Free 5-hour lecture: http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/links/udemy.htm