[xep-support] Since there is life out there

From: Kevin Brown <kevin@renderx.com>
Date: Thu Aug 14 2014 - 13:30:44 PDT

As I see some activity in the group, I thought I would do a mini-update for
you.
We recently released 4.23 and will soon put out another release with a few
additions in functionality.

4.23 addressed some big improvements in Section 508/tagged PDF. We added the
ability to link table cells to header cells by ID so that screen readers can
navigate/read/understand what headers apply to cells based on the ID
reference. Section 508 has become an important part of RenderX installations
because of all the mandated requirements for Health Care exchanges. RenderX
XEP now has complete 100% dynamic creation of simplified/508 tagging
structures within the output PDF. After all, we are the rendering engine
used with the US H&HS web site as well as several others.

In our soon to be released version 4.24, we just added a new PI-based
transformation that can scale the resulting page. This was added because of
the HTML5+CSS to PDF project we are building. While you can put in about any
dimension you wish in CSS (in, mm, ...), browsers all report sizing
information in pixels. And pixels to the browser are 96/inch, RenderX
internals are 120px/inch. So we added an auto-scale PI where you can scale
up or down the "composed" parts of the document. In the above case, adding
<?xep-pdf-pdf-scaling 1.25?> results in a page scaled perfectly up. This
scaling bypasses two things:

1) PDFs used as background image for a page.
2) Entire documents inserted via the extension rx:insert-document which
allows you to insert an existing multi-page PDF in front of any
page-sequence.

If you haven't poked around the HTML conversion, it's posted for all to
examine. The Javascript is being put into GitHub for all to enhance along
with the XSL that does conversion of the (modified/cleaned) HTML5 input with
CSS to XSL FO. The Javascript uses REST to send to RenderX running in the
Cloud (open for all to use), returning back PDF. Cloudformatter is sitting
on Amazon Web Services so we can scale up to any level very easily or even
replicate private environments for clients. Today we started adding google
fonts to the server and are examining dynamic font specifications for the
formatter.

We are busy this week creating a whole new web site for this with many more
samples, API information for the various JS functions and options.

http://xep.cloudformatter.com/doc/

Kevin Brown
RenderX